Friday 4 November 2011

Fisherman's Evening

Last evening it was the annual get together of the Chatsworth syndicate where we usually meet friends old and new. After a brief resume of news about the fishery from Charlotte we were treated to a delicious chicken casserole before an interesting presentation from the guest speaker who this year was no other than John Tyzack. One comment by John during his presentation was that he thought that the Derbyshire Derwent was predominantly a grayling river and the trout were maybe the secondary species. Discussion also took place as to why the majority of grayling caught on this stretch seemed to be up to a maximum of 1.5 -1.75 lbs. and that other rivers in the area, notably the Wye and Dove tended to produce larger specimens, I have been fortunate to land a grayling pushing 4lb (all 21" of it) from the Dove when I fished it on Leek and District back in the mid nineties. However I digress! Following a healthy question and answer session it was left to us to chat amongst ourselves about how our season had been and looking forward to the grayling and subsequently next year. I met quite a few fisherman who tend to hang up their rods during the winter and give the fish a well deserved respite! Needless to say I am not one of them and enjoy those crisp winter days when the sun shines and the odd fly hatches to be gobbled down by one of the numerous grayling which inhabit our stretch. The grayling are well spread throughout the whole length of the river so it is rare to not get amongst them, you just have to move if you start hooking out of season trout. Matthew tells me he is still going to be feeding the trout during the close season and I am convinced that this helps them to survive through the winter and be in tip top condition come the beginning of April. This may broach some comment/discussion on the merits of feeding but I just say that the evidence at the start of the season justifies the means. As I write this it is raining here in Baslow but hopefully the river will be ok for an hour or two on Sunday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would dearly love to catch a big grayling 2 lb+ would do me?

Baslowfisher said...

It was some years back and I don't remember much as I was so euphoric but my friend Bill netted it for me and always reminds me when we meet!
Thanks for looking in again Richard.

Regards,
Colin