Tuesday 24 July 2012

A False Start!

After finishing work a bit late I arranged to meet Derek above the works asap. It wasn't until 2015 that I got down there only to find I had left my reel and flyboxes at home! A false start, too eager to get out as it's been over a month since I have been fishing. I found Derek ensconced in the sycamore pool so I got in just above him to work my way up. After the glorious day the temperature was still reasonable on the bank but down below the trees it was decidedly chilly. Sedge and spinners were about but not what I expected. On went my rusty spinner and immediatley had a take but I was also rusty and struck too soon only pricking the fish. I worked my way under the trees and next time I delayed the strike to land a lovley brown of about 15 inches. Following another couple of long distance releases the fish stopped rising about 2130 so we called it a day after only 45 mins of fishing. As we made our way back to the car we realised that if we had gone into the park we would probably have had another 30 miniutes of fishing time and it would probably have been warmer in the open however during the day the park and river was full of dogs and children so the fish would probably have disappeared. Hey ho!

Have acquired some more materials for tying up some saltwater flies for my trip down to North Devon in a couple of weeks time. Any suggestions as good locations around the Porlock area or river fishing around Exford would be appreciated.

No comments: