Wednesday 9 March 2011

Nearly There!

This trout close season has definitely been a long one not helped by the dire lack of any real grayling fishing sessions! I don't know about you but I am itching to get going again. Some guys will already be wetting a line but on Chatsworth the season doesn't start until 1st April. This past week I have been keeping an eye on the Derwent and it looks in superb condition at present. Over the road where people feed the ducks there are plenty of fish showing and they all look in superb condition. Matthew has been trickle feeding the fish during the close season at various points on the river and I am absolutely convinced that this cuts down the winter casualties and gets them over their spawning.

I thought I would tie up some mayfly duns and emergers ala Phil White who gave a great presentation last week at the Grayling Society meeting showing how he ties his catalogue of different patterns. I still recon his 1 up 1 down dun is the best pattern for the mayfly. I also tied up some mayfly nymphs using some tan grizzly marabou dubbed for a body and thorax it looks the part.

I am on the lookout for some new wading boots with rubber soles as my Simms have given up the ghost after 7 seasons, won't be buying any other Simms gear now even after this time as I have never been totally satisfied with the waders/boots.

This season I am definitely going to cut down on the amount of flies I carry, I have bought a smaller box and only transferred those flies I know I will use, we shall see if I can stick to this new rule of mine! I am also going to use more tiny flies as some of the guys on my followed blogs tie a mean 'micro' fly so I'm thinking that they must be tried here in Derbyshire, will let you know how it goes.

Tight lines to all my blog followers for the coming season, thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great minds think alike! Small box and smaller flies - just my thinking for this season. Really enjoying the fishing blogosphere at the moment - full of pre-wedding night anticipation!