Thursday, 25 August 2011

3 Fours and a 3

I have not been blogging lately due to fishing and other things. In the last 10 days I have fished 4 times at various locations on the Derwent.
Sunday 14th August - I went down to the willow pool quite early this evening around 6 but somebody was already there so I meandered down to the gully for a quick chuck but although there were plenty of sedge about no fish were moving. After a couple of half hearted takes to a sedge I decided to go down to Bar brook. Here there was a line of fish rising consistently but it was difficult to make out what to. I managed to take a brown on a sedge but nothing else would play. I tried my trusty rusty and fish started to show an interest successfully landing one of those interlopers a blue rainbow. The light was going fast so I went up to the deer boom and took another 2 good wild as they come browns. Really the action only occurred in the last hour so going early was not productive.
Tuesday 16th August - I went down below the bottom weir in the park about 1930. The pool here was alive with fish chasing sedges. I immediately hooked a decent brown, thinking this was going to be easy, how soon your thoughts are dashed as offer after offer was refused. I was totally engrossed in what the fish were doing that I did not realise Malcolm the keeper was on the bank watching me until he spoke, needless to say I have now recovered from the shock! I again went for my rusty spinner and took another blue rainbow and 3 more browns before the temperature dropped and the fish went down. As I walked back along the bank there was a group of 60+ fallow deer (I counted 50 and there were more) on the far bank taking a drink and chilling. I sat on a bench and watched them for a short while, absolutely lovely and not the thing the hordes of visitors will see. As I drove back home through Chatsworth Park a group of 4 large stags followed by about 5 or 6 hinds crossed the road in front of me. That just finished of a very enjoyable evening.
Friday 19th August - Again I went down to Bar brook at 1930 where again a line of fish rising to something very small. A few sedge were about but fish were not interested in my offer. I went small to a black parachute, olive parachute etc etc. but only managed to land 1 small rainbow. I went back up to the deer boom and put on my rusty spinner again and landed 3 browns all beautiful marked with large red spots, brilliant!
Sunday 21st August - I decided to try the willow pool again and luckily there was nobody there. On entering the pool at the tail a large rainbow decided to see how high he could jump, it was like a young sea trout and the wave it left covered the whole pool. Must remember where he came up! It started off slow but within a few minutes I started to notice the smallest of rises to something tiny. After covering with a sedge and a rusty klink I decided to get out the big guns and went for my size 22 yellow parachute with a black thorax. Immediately I started to get interest and after a couple coming unstuck I covered another tiny rise but was surprised to land a rainbow pushing 2lbs. It's amazing how you can never tell by the rise form just how big or small a fish is. This was followed by some more long distance releases before landing a brown. The activity lasted about 30 minutes before the temperature dropped again and the fish more or less disappeared, on my way back down the pool to get out I covered another rise and landed a blue rainbow so not bad for only a short spell of activity tonight. What is interesting is how the nights are drawing in, this time last week I could fish until 9.15pm but tonight it was struggle to see the fly by 8.30pm and there is a distinct chill of autumn in the air.


Anonymous said...

Great blog- really enjoyed reading it. Have bookmarked you and will check back regular. Please feel free to take a look at my blog...

Cheap Flights to Wellington
Flights to Wellington
Wellington Flights

jack said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.